Observe National Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month with the Team at Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers
Each May, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and motorcycle advocates encourage people to recognize the importance of safe driving when it comes to sharing the road with motorcycles. Because every vehicle has the same rights and responsibilities on our highways, streets, and roads, it is important to remember to watch out for bikes while driving.
Because motorcycle riders and their passengers have little to no protection from serious injury in the event of an accident, it is the responsibility of the rider and other drivers to practice safe driving when sharing the road. Helmets and protective gear will only go so far to prevent injury, and in the event of an accident, the rider and passengers often suffer far worse consequences than those in cars or trucks.
The NHTSA website provides a few helpful tips for both motorists and bikers to keep both safe on the road. Motorists should:
- Be aware of motorcyclists on the road. Always check for motorcyclists when changing lanes, merging, or leaving the highway.
- Be sure to always signal lane changes to alert riders of your intent to move.
- Motorcycles have the same rights as any other vehicle, which means they are entitled to a full-lane when driving. Do not try to share a lane with a motorcycle.
- Always maintain a safe driving distance between your vehicle and a motorcycle in front of you.
- As always, do not drive while intoxicated or allow in-vehicle distractions to take your eyes off the road.
For motorcycle riders, the NHTSA recommends:
- Always wear the proper safety gear, including a helmet, boots, and protective clothing while riding.
- Maintain a safe distance between your bike and other vehicles.
- Do not attempt to share a lane with a car or truck.
- Obey all traffic laws, and don’t try to pass traffic by weaving in-and-out among other vehicles.
- Do not operate a motorcycle while drunk or under the influence of drugs or prescription medication.
If both bikers and the motorists they share the road with follow these helpful tips, severe injury accidents may be prevented.
Our Motorcycle Accident Lawyers are Here to Help
The experienced Connecticut motorcycle accident lawyers of Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers have helped injured bikers get the compensation they need to get back on their feet after an accident. We know the devastation that a motorcycle accident can cause, and we firmly believe in doing what’s right and helping make sure that justice is served. Hurt in an accident? We can help. Call us at (203) 397-1283 to schedule a free consultation with a member of our team today.