New London Truck Accident Attorneys
Our Experienced Personal Injury Lawyers Will Fight for You
If you or someone you love has been injured in a truck accident, the New London truck accident lawyers from Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers are ready to help you. The thought is horrifying: an 18-wheeler crashes into a car and hurts the passengers inside. We never think it will happen to us, but for all too many families in New London and throughout Connecticut, this horrifying thought becomes a reality, often with deadly results. The average car is simply not built to withstand an impact from a large commercial truck, and as a result, truck accidents often cause the most serious injuries of any auto accident. Victims who have been injured or families who have lost loved ones often find themselves in places of both unspeakable pain and seemingly insurmountable financial burdens. But if you are one of those victims or families, there is hope. You have legal options at your disposal.
At Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers, we have years of experience fighting for truck accident victims across Connecticut and helping them to hold negligent truck drivers and trucking companies accountable for the injuries they’ve caused. To discuss your legal options, contact our office today at (860) 772-2280.
Types of Truck Accidents
Commercial trucks are larger and have more moving parts than a standard car. Even the simple fact of having a cab and trailer make commercial trucks more susceptible than cars to horrifying accidents. Here are some of the common types of accidents involving trucks:
- Rollover accidents: Trucks, especially their trailers, are narrow and tall, with a great potential to roll over. Trucks that roll over often hit cars and other objects in their path, making them extremely hazardous to everyone on the road.
- Jackknife accidents: Because the cab and trailer of a truck are two different parts attached to each other with a flexible hitch, they can sometimes move independently of each other. When a driver loses control of their trailer and it swings out at a 90-degree angle with the cab, this is known as a jackknife. These can be dangerous to several cars at once, sometimes forming a sort of wall across multiple lanes of traffic.
- Underride accidents: When a smaller car hits the back or side of a truck’s trailer, it can sometimes slide under the trailer, scraping across the bottom along the way. These accidents can be particularly deadly.
- Rear-end accidents: Trucks are significantly heavier than cars, giving them a great deal more momentum and making them take much longer to stop. Truck drivers will sometimes plow into the back of a car if they are not paying close enough attention to begin stopping early.
- Mechanical failure: Trucks often see a great deal of use between maintenance checkups. Trucking companies sometimes cut corners and let mechanical issues persist until they grow so bad that a tire blows out or an engine fails, putting everyone on the road in danger.
These and other truck accidents have the potential to cause serious injury, or worse. Whatever type of truck accident you have been involved in, the New London truck accident lawyers of Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers are ready to discuss the specifics of your case and help you understand your legal options.
Determining Fault after a Truck Accident in New London
After any accident in New London, one side will be determined to be more at fault. This is because Connecticut, unlike New York and some other states, is a ‘fault’ state when it comes to auto accidents. If your case goes to trial, the jury will consider both sides’ negligence in determining who was at fault.
Determining fault after any auto accident can be difficult, but there is an extra wrinkle in truck accident cases. This is because there are more parties involved. In addition to you and the truck driver, you will have to consider the trucking company and how its negligence may have contributed to the accident. For example, the company may have violated hours regulations or failed to properly maintain the truck. In general, companies can be held liable for their employees’ actions, and trucking companies are likely to have a great deal more money than their drivers. Therefore, you will most likely want to sue the company rather than the driver, although in some cases you might sue both. An experienced New London truck accident lawyer can help you decide whom to sue in your case.
Recovering Damages in a Personal Injury Claim
If you have been hurt in a truck accident and the truck driver or company was at fault, you could hold them liable for your injuries through a personal injury claim. Depending on the circumstances of your accident, you could recover damages for a number of costs, including:
- All medical bills associated with your recovery
- Car repairs or replacement
- Other property damage or loss
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Transportation and other expenses
- Wrongful death
These damages can add up to a significant settlement or verdict. For instance, Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers helped a Connecticut school bus driver recover $300,000 for his injuries after he was hit by a truck. Time and time again, our personal injury lawyers have proven their ability to get our clients real results.
Truck accidents are frightening. When a commercial truck and a car go head-to-head, it’s never an even match. Many families lose their loved ones in these tragic accidents. Even the victims who survive face months or even lifetimes of agonizing medical recovery, combined with crippling medical bills and a strain on their personal relationships.
At Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers, we are dedicated to helping our clients through these difficult times. Our New London 18-wheeler accident lawyers have the experience and know-how it takes to go up against trucking companies and win. If you or someone you love has been injured in a truck accident, we are ready to fight for you. Don’t hesitate – the trucking company could already be mobilizing its enormous resources and preparing its case. Get started on yours. For more information on how our experienced New London personal injury attorneys can help, call us now at (860) 772-2280.