SIDS – Advances in Prevention
SIDS, or Sudden Infant Death Syndrome, is one of the most devastating and heartbreaking events that a family can experience.
Roughly 3,000 infants die each year while they are asleep, and though there have been some advances in our understanding of the causes, there has been no decrease in the overall death rate since the 1990s.
Most of the improvement that was seen at that time is a result of better parent education and understanding of what constitutes a sleep environment and healthy positioning during sleep. But there are causes of SIDS that have nothing to do with the child’s environment, and which sometimes warrant a wrongful death lawsuit against those involved in the child’s prenatal care and birthing process.
A Safe Sleeping Environment
The biggest advances in SIDS prevention have come with improved recommendations on infant positioning and bedding. Parents are advised to:
- Use skin-to-skin contact for newborns
- Position infants on their back to sleep
- Use firm sleep surfaces in cribs
- Share room with parent
- Always have infant on a separate sleep surface, designed for infant use
- Avoid soft bedding
- Do not use blankets
- Avoid overheating
- Avoid smoking during pregnancy
- Avoid exposure to smoke, alcohol and illicit drugs
- Follow recommended schedule for immunization
- Use a pacifier
- Keep sleeping infants away from couches and armchairs
Malpractice and Wrongful Death in SIDS
SIDS can sometimes be caused by birth injuries or prenatal distress that had previously been undetected and are only discovered on autopsy. These can be as a result of:
- If blood is detected in the spinal cord, it suggests injury caused by trauma during birth
- If lungs are found to be damaged, it may be a result of limited oxygen in the womb
- If brain damage is discovered, it can be a result of stress in utero during a difficult delivery
The loss of a child is devastating, and the search for answers is painful, especially when faced with the possibility that the death could have been prevented. The wrongful death attorneys at Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers are compassionate and understanding but also dedicated to helping you get the truth. If you suspect that your child’s death from SIDS is a result of negligence, contact us today. We will conduct a thorough investigation aimed at getting you the answers you need and the justice your baby deserves.