Facebook Pixel



Get to know the power of Perkins!

How to Request the Repair of an Unsafe Road in Connecticut

When you think of automobile accidents and what causes them, you probably think of drivers who are texting or drunk behind the wheel, inclement weather, speeding or careless drivers, and truck drivers who have gone hours without sleep. Though these are all leading causes of injury-causing accidents, they leave out another danger that leads to driver’s losing control of their cars, and that is hazardous road conditions. Roads can be poorly designed or in bad shape as a result of years of wear. Whatever the reason for the poor physical condition, in the state of Connecticut it is the responsibility of either federal, local, or state agencies to maintain and repair roads in order to make sure that they are safe for drivers. The attorneys at Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers are dedicated to the safety of our clients, and want you to know how to request the repair of an unsafe road in Connecticut.

A recent study conducted by the American Road & Transportation Builders Association revealed that roughly 20 percent of the nation’s 900,000 miles of interstates and major roads are in need of repair. In some cases, that means resurfacing or reconstruction. In some cases bridges require structural reinforcements. In some cases roads need to be widened to accommodate increased traffic or safety standards.  The state of Connecticut is included in these numbers, and many roads are in bad shape and could potentially contribute to serious accidents. Failure to repair issues such as potholes or cracks in the road, fallen road signs, faded paint markings or inadequate guardrails can put a state in jeopardy of being held responsible for a negligence lawsuit.

If you are aware of a repair that the Connecticut Department of Transportation needs to address, the state invites taxpayers to send a message to them via their website, www.dotdata.ct.gov. You need to be aware that the state only addresses state roads: problems on local roads needs to be called to the attention of the specific town or county.  These notifications should include specific information about where the problem exists, with as much detail as possible. It should also include your name and contact information. If the problem that you are reporting has to do with a construction project that is creating an issue, that should be reported to the town where the problem is located rather than to the state.

If you are involved in an accident that you believe was caused by a road condition that should have been repaired then you may be eligible to file a lawsuit against the government agency responsible, but approaching these agencies can be intimidating and frustrating. The experienced personal injury attorneys at Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers can help you navigate the system and prove that your accident was the responsibility of the agency and constituted negligence. Contact us for more information on how we can help you.


  • “{{ t.content }}”

    - {{ t.title }}