New London Car Accident Lawyers
Car accidents can happen when we least expect them. Whether you are in the middle of a long commute or just leaving your driveway, disaster can strike at any time. Car accidents have the potential to cause a number of serious injuries, or even death. In addition to the pain of recovery, accident victims and their families often find themselves struggling under the heavy financial burden of medical bills, car repairs, and more. If you have found yourself in such a situation, you don’t have to give up hope. You have legal options to seek serious compensation for your injuries.
At Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers, we have spent years helping car accident victims across Connecticut hold the people who injured them financially accountable. Through in-court verdicts and out-of-court settlements, we have helped our clients recover millions of dollars for their injuries. If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident in New London, our New London car accident attorneys are here to help. Contact us at (860) 772-2280 to go over your case with a knowledgeable legal advocate.
Common injuries caused by car accidents
Car accidents involve a lot of moving parts and often high speeds. Depending on where and how the car is hit, the driver and passengers inside can be thrown about in any direction, putting them at risk of serious or even deadly injuries. Even if your airbags deploy properly and your seatbelt keeps you in place, the impact of the blow can still deal damage to your body. Some common injuries car accident victims suffer from include:
- Broken bones
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Neck and back injuries
- Spinal cord and other nerve injuries
- Cuts and lacerations
- Severe bleeding
- Organ damage
While some of these injuries may be obvious immediately after the accident, others can be invisible. If you have been hit in a car accident, it is always best to seek medical attention so that you can be sure of the extent of your injuries and how best to treat them.
What to do after a car accident
A car accident can be an extremely disorienting experience. It can be hard to understand what to do from moment to moment. However, there are a few key concerns that you should keep in mind no matter the circumstances of the accident. You can help ensure a more effective recovery and an easier time with your claim in the future if you follow these basic steps after a car accident:
- Call 911. Whether or not you need an ambulance, you will want to at least have the police at the scene. After the officers arrive and interview you and the other driver, they will collect evidence and write up an accident report that will be extremely valuable to your claim down the line. If anyone does need emergency medical attention, including the other driver, ask for an ambulance as well.
- Exchange insurance information. However your claim progresses, you will need the other driver’s insurance information. Every driver in the state of Connecticut is required to carry liability insurance. If the other driver will not give you the information, let the police know, and they will get it for you.
- Gather evidence. You will never have more evidence to help with your claim in front of you than you do immediately after the accident. Be sure to take pictures of both vehicles and the scene of the accident. If there are any witnesses nearby, ask if you can record their accounts of what happened.
- Report the accident to your insurer. Once the police are done with you and you have gathered your own evidence, you are free to leave the scene of the accident. As soon as possible, you should report the accident to your insurance company so that you can begin the claims process.
- Seek medical attention. Whatever you judge the extent of your injuries to be, one of the first things you should do after leaving the scene if the accident is to seek medical attention. You may have sustained more injuries than you can see. Make sure to save all documentation and receipts.
Once you have tied up all the loose ends and seen a doctor, you should consider your legal options. With the help of a New London car accident lawyer, you could recover significant compensation in a personal injury claim.
Recovering damages in a personal injury claim
If your accident was caused by another driver’s negligence, you can file a personal injury suit in Connecticut to hold them financially accountable for your injuries. Depending on the circumstances of your accident, you could recover compensation for a number of costs, including:
- Medical bills
- Car repairs or replacement
- Other property damage
- Present and future lost income
- Travel and other miscellaneous expenses
- Physical and emotional pain and suffering
- Wrongful death
Together, these damages can add up to a significant sum. For example, Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers won $2,300,000 for the family of one man who tragically died in a car accident. These kinds of results require experience and a winning legal strategy, which Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers brings to the table in every case.
Proving fault after a car accident in New London
Different states have different ways of determining fault after a car accident. Unlike New York, which is a ‘no-fault’ state, Connecticut is a ‘fault’ state. This means that after a car accident in New London, whichever driver is determined to be more at fault can be held financially liable for the damages. Proving fault can be difficult, but the New London car accident lawyers of Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers have what it takes to hold negligent drivers accountable.
Car accidents are frightening, and they can have lasting effects on your life and finances. An experienced personal injury attorney can help guide you through this difficult time and increase your chances of winning the compensation you deserve. If you or someone you love has been injured in a car accident, don’t hesitate. Call Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers today at (860) 772-2280 for more information on how our New London personal injury lawyers can help get real results in your case.