While the crisp fall air and the changing colors of the scenery are typically indicative of a beautiful time of year in Connecticut, the change in seasons is not without certain risks.
During autumn, slip and fall accidents can become more common because of a wide variety of factors. Many are due to the changes in weather and the environment, and increased traffic plays a part as well. It is critical for property owners and managers to recognize these common hazards and help do their part to keep the premises safe for guests and patrons.
Slip and fall accidents during the autumn months are often caused by:
- Increased Retail Presence — As Christmas nears, many establishments are going to see a more significant number of patrons. This also increases the likelihood of drinks being spilled or other accidents that lead to wet spot or slick floors in these stores. Such dangers become common causes of many slip and fall accidents.
- Longer Nights — The further we get into autumn, the sooner the sun will begin to set. When it gets darker outside sooner, it simply becomes more difficult to spot certain dangers. Many slip and fall accidents involve people walking into objects or hazards that they could not see.
- Unfavorable Weather — While autumn puts a little more bite in the air, it is also a time of year in which there can be some severe storms. Heavy rain can saturate sidewalks and roads, but heavy winds can also lead to tree branches being strewn on city streets. As winter nears, the ground may even freeze on some nights and slip and fall risk can be exceptionally high the following mornings.
- Slippery Sidewalks and Roads — As mentioned above, a higher amount of rainfall in the autumn usually leads to a lot of wet walkways. Even when it has not recently rained, it is possible that moisture from leaves can remain on sidewalks even after being raked into a yard. Other objects touching the leaves can become similarly saturated.
- Falling Objects — Again, this is the time of year when leaves and the tree branches themselves may fall. The branches can often land directly on sidewalks. Residents and other entities have an obligation to move these branches so as not to endanger pedestrians or visitors.
Most people who suffer injuries in slip and fall accidents will usually have property owners or their insurance companies immediately accuse them of being at fault for their injuries. Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers understands that slip and fall accidents are usually the result of a property owner’s negligence, and we are here to help you take legal action to get the compensation and justice that you deserve.
Our firm can immediately negotiate with an insurer for a fair and full settlement, but we will not be afraid to file a lawsuit when the insurance company refuses to provide adequate compensation. You can have our lawyers review your case and discuss all of your legal options when you call 203-397-1283 to receive a free consultation.