Why Summer is the Season of Traffic Accidents
Whether you are a motorist or a pedestrian, there is always some risk of being involved in a traffic accident. However, there are times where that risk is higher. Summertime tends to have the highest number of accidents compared to other seasons, but why is that? Regardless of your own behavior, the season comes with inherent risks for accidents.
Reasons for Increased Risk
- More travelers. With the warm weather comes more drivers on the road. With that in mind, it’s easy to see how the season becomes a higher risk for accidents with the increase in road congestion.
- Inexperienced drivers. When school lets out for the summer, far more inexperienced drivers are on the road. It is estimated that teenager drivers spend up to 40 percent more time on the road when school is not in session, leading to more collisions.
- Construction and highway work zones. Since the weather is vastly better for construction and road work, there are many more construction zones set up in the summer season. This increases detours and creates driving challenges that can lead to auto accidents.
- Vehicle-related failure. Due to higher temperatures, it is more likely to have a tire blowout or general equipment failure in a vehicle. Paired with more people on the road, accidents rise.
Reduce Your Risk
While accidents can be unavoidable, there are a few tips to stay safer on the road during these conditions.
- Follow traffic laws.
- Avoid driving under the influence or under high emotions or stress.
- Invest in summer preparation maintenance.
- Stay buckled up.
- Allow for more time to get where you’re going.
Whether it’s the summertime or not, accidents happen. Our team of Connecticut car accident lawyers at Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers know how to protect your rights. Whether you are at fault or have suffered an injury due to the negligence of another driver, we can help. Contact us online today or give us a call to find out how our experience can serve you.