Prepare Your Home for the Winter
Fall has finally arrived, the air is crisp, and the leaves are changing colors! While we are enjoying the New England autumn, now is the time to prepare your home for the winter months. Follow the tips below to ease into the winter season:
- Make sure to service your oil burner every year.
- Remove air conditioner window units or covers.
- As far as the outdoor plumbing goes, turn off outside faucets from the inside and drain, leaving the outside handle open.
- Check the chimney draft by opening the damper and testing with a lit piece of newspaper held up into the chimney. Have a professional clean and inspect the chimney even if you don’t frequently use it.
- Put up storm windows.
- Replace the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors.
- Clear any leaves out of the gutter.
Click here for tips on winter car care.
Following these safety tips will keep you and your family safe during the winter.