Hartford Dog Bite Attorney
Dogs have been called man’s best friend for good reason – they are generally loyal and lovable, and have proven themselves to be of great value in terms of the companionship and service that they can offer. But just as every human is different, every time that we encounter a dog the experience has risks as well. No matter how much you love animals, if you have been the victim of a dog bite the injuries can be extremely serious, and even deadly. In Hartford, Connecticut, we have seen far too many of these attacks have devastating impacts on adults and children alike. If you or someone you love has been attacked by a dog, you may be eligible for compensation for your injuries. Contact the attorneys at Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers today and let us tell you how we can help.
Dog Bite Statistics
Though we have a natural tendency to fear large dogs, they are not always the ones that are responsible for the worst dog bite injuries – in fact some of the smallest dogs can also be the most aggressive, and this can be a particular concern because people often assume that they are harmless. Here are some facts for you to keep in mind regarding dog bites in the United States:
- Based on a 20-year study from the American Veterinary Medical Association, the five dog breeds that are the most dangerous based on fatality statistics are the Wolf-Dog Hybrid, the Husky, the German Shepherd, the Rottweiler, and the Pit Bull.
- 4.7 million people are bitten by dogs each year
- In 75% of dog bites resulting in fatalities, the dogs were not chained.
- 92% of fatal dog attacks involved male dogs, and 94% of these were not neutered.
- The insurance company pays over $1 billion per year in dog bite claims
- 75% of dog bites occur on the victim’s property and most victims know the dog responsible for their injuries.
It is always important to educate yourself and your children in order to minimize your chances of being attacked by a dog, but the dog owner is responsible for any injuries that you sustain unless you are trespassing on their property or are proven to have been tormenting or harassing the animal.
Dog Bite Victims Are Entitled to Compensation for the Damages that they Suffer
If you have been attacked by a dog, the incident can change your life. Dog bite injuries can be extremely serious, leaving permanent injuries and disfigurement, and the emotional impact can also be grave – a person who was once confident can become extremely fearful. Victims of attacks can file a lawsuit seeking compensation for the damages that they have suffered, which can include:
- Medical expenses
- Psychological counseling
- Surgical expenses, including plastic surgery
- Compensation for physical scars and disfigurement
- Compensation for nerve damage
- The cost of repairing or replacing personal property
- Attorneys fees and court costs
Even though dog bites and serious injuries are a common occurrence, most people do not pursue their legal rights. Don’t be a victim. Let the attorneys at Jonathan Perkins Injury Lawyers of Hartford, Connecticut seek justice on your behalf. Call us today at (860) 722-9923 to set up a free consultation to review your case.